Monday, March 1, 2010

Ile de Madeleine

Last week I was lucky enough to make the hop from mainland Dakar to l'Ile de Madeleine, where there is a national park, perfect for bird watching, and baobabs, of varieties both miniature and enormous (the standard) are scattered about. The three other girls in my environmental class, my professor, the lovely Awa, an obligatory guide, and myself jumped into a pirogue, the little colorfully-painted wooden fishing boats, and bounced atop the ocean waves to the island.
The boat propelled forward with the push of waves, gliding just above the surface until it again smashed into contact, and little dropplets of salt water misted back, as if to fool us into thinking the ocean is gentle, only as a game until another massive push came from below and our toy boat was again flung through the air. Along with the boat bumped my mind, between the physical beauty around me and the question of whether or not I had accidentally stumbled into the world of mythology, with Poseidon just trying to impress us with the ease of his power, surrounded by what seemed to be the very islands Ulysses found so dangerously magnetizing.

Fortunately, the islands could only allure from afar, and we moved passed, stepping off the boat at only l'Ile de Madeleine, and I was able to leave Ulysses to deal with the modernist struggles of life by himself while I climbed baobab trees.




Baobabs have this fruit that makes some tasty smoothy-consistency juice:

2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney! John and I just got back from Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. We both decided the next place we visit needs to be a REAL place; "real" as in "not tourist-centered".

    You're in a real place and it's a pleasure to visit with you! What a rich experience. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noelle, you bring up a good point- I've always felt really conflicted about tourism, and one aspect of being here that I'm so thankful for is that, as a student, I'm getting the opportunity to see both the tourist and non-touristy sides of Senegal. But even as a traveler, there are big differences in going somewhere where the economy simply benefits from tourism and someplace where it just overtakes and the culture is covered up. I love that you're so interested in places and people. Was Cabo San Lucas amazing? It seems like it would be spectacular relaxation time. Were you two there for a vacation?

    ReplyDelete